Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Yeah, I'm late to the party as usual...

So. Pacafiesta.

Taught me that I should not combine caffeine with yarn shopping. The results had to be snuck into the house under cover of darkness. Here's a pic of the ill-gotten gains.


Before you gasp in horror at my freewheeling ways with a credit card...those skeins of natural coloured alpaca on the left are all from the $5 bin from the Rumour Mill stall. I believe that I was actually head first in the bin at some point, as most of the conversations of my companions was quite muffled. Not sure. May have been slightly dazed at the concept of $5 alpaca...

The gorgeous blue-green skein is from Jorgenhurst Farms - kid mohair. And I realized that I really did need another skein to do anything practical with it. So, I went to the Loop today and picked it up. (Thanks for the advice and moral support, Morgan!)

Also, the whole Pacafiesta experience taught me that enthusiasm can definitely infect. Spinning is the craft du jour amongst the KOL crowd now...I'd like to thank Joyce of the Atlantic Spinners (can't remember the actual name of the group) for taking the time (and exterting massive amount of patience) to teach me and other KOLers how to spin.

Was feeling like crap about my spinning - until I started going through the stash. And I realized something. My first handspun? It looks frighteningly like Manos del Uruguay. Feeling better about my un-l33t spinning skillz now. Which is which, I ask you?


Also. Shibori bag. (I am a crap photographer. Let's leave it at that, shall we?)


(I can't seem to get this pic to sit right...apologies to the crick in your necks.)


I think that I need to make another to test the pattern. Any suggestions for the colour?

7 Comments:

Blogger FrozenExtremities said...

That is such a sweet bag. And I hear you on the Manos-a-like spinning. Very guilty party right here.

5:27 PM

 
Blogger granolagirl said...

Great bag, wish I could find some 5$ alpaca here in Calgary!!

Next bag, I see in lime green.

8:59 PM

 
Blogger Moe said...

Ooh, lovely bag - I really like the square lines!

I credit myself with being the typhoid mary of the spinning bug. I KNEW that it would infect you all, bwa ha ha ha.

8:10 AM

 
Blogger Lynne said...

I like that lion coloured yarn you had. If you haven't made the munchkin his hat with that stuff yet, it would make a yummy felted bag. You know, the brown/gold coloured yarn.

8:46 AM

 
Blogger Lesley said...

My spinning looks like manos too, I feel better now.
LOVE that bag, looks awesome. That colour is gorgeous. For a new bag, I would choose blue. But then, I love blue and make many things with blue.

1:33 PM

 
Blogger Alison said...

Must resist the spinning bug! I already tried it, it didn't look like Manos. Shibori is lovely, by the way! My word verification is gwewpzag. I like the sound of gwewpzag, I think it needs a definition.

7:50 PM

 
Blogger Jaichan said...

Love. The. Bag.
I see vermillion for the next bag.

1:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home