Thursday, November 17, 2005

Torment neatly packaged in a skein...or two.

So, I missed Stitch and Bitch yesterday. I would have happily been there, but alas - the spirit was willing, but the flesh was unconscious by 9:30 pm. Ah, the joys of motherhood... I've been so sleep deprived recently that I basically passed out while soothing Mr. Munchkin back to sleep. *sighs*

And we also missed knitting playgroup today, as we were waiting for our new chest freezer to be delivered. Ah well...today was not a total write-off in terms of wooly goodness, as I finally received two packages of yarn that I've been waiting on for ages. The first was a bunch of yarn from an eBay seller - 100purewool. It's a batch of handdyed merino, and it was a fantastic deal. A pic for you:

The arm is Mr. Munchkin assisting me in artfully arranging the skeins for your viewing pleasure. (Don't you love the chubby little wrists? Yea, so I'm biased. It's biological.)

This wool is stunningly beautiful and soft. The big pile of undyed yarn in the back corner is for me to experiment with in the summer...I'm planning on trying my hand at dyeing some colourways that I've had in mind for awhile.

My favourite colourway - well, it's a tie. The multicoloured skeins (blue, red, purple) in the front row, and the orangey-brown skeins in the second row are just begging to be knit up. Oh, but my day just got better and better from here on in...

This jumbled pile of yarn is all Malabrigo/Handpaintedyarn.com - I've been waiting on this since the summer. Please believe me when I say that there's a reason that I had ordered so much yarn...I was expecting it to arrive in time for Christmas knitting. And, well. That just ain't happening.



For some odd reason, it all arrived in oddly squished skeins. So, I re-twisted them into shape. OCD? Moi? Nay...I simply have little space to stash yarn any more. Gotta go with the format that works for ya. The green and blue skeins in the lower right hand corner are destined for a "Manly Sweater" for Mr. Ninja. The colours are actually dark enough that he'll consent to wear it in public! I count that as a major triumph, personally. Heh.


In terms of Christmas knitting, here's an atrocious picture of what will become felted slippers. Knit from Peace Fleece, in a yummy deep burgundy. (I have no idea why it's orange in the photo.)

So, why the torment title?

Have you *ever* been confronted with that much lovely yarn - and realized that you couldn't cast any of it on in good conscience? Gah.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Alison said...

Hey Deb, too bad you missed knitting playgroup. I brought my ball winder for you to play with if you'd wanted to--could have wound some of that yarn up!

Alison

9:01 AM

 
Blogger Moe said...

That was hilarious today - running into knit-friends at Tangled Skeins.

That is an insane amount of yarn. Look at all that malabrigo...I just bought my first skein today. I might make a multidirectional scarf with it. So soft. Mr Ninja is a lucky man. Poor Mr Moe has briggs and little on deck right now. I can't in good conscience buy more man sweater yarn until I use it up.

4:42 PM

 
Blogger morgan said...

I would die. Where are you even going to start?? Hope we get to see some at snb soon!
ps am i the only one who fails the word verification sometimes?

5:23 PM

 
Blogger Steph said...

Oh dear... all that yarn takes my breath away. I'm going to start knocking on doors in your neighbourhood with my ball-winder and swift in search of you...

1:28 PM

 
Blogger Ninja Knitter said...

Oh Steph, my house is really easy to recognize. It's the one with the half-finished sock sitting in the front room windowsill. ;)

1:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home